Senior Backend Software Engineer - Livepeer Studio
Are you an engineer who loves large scale distributed software? Do you enjoy working with a small product and engineering team that values shipping quality software? Are you excited about the challenges of creating a decentralized video ecosystem and creating open source software that unlocks the massive creativity of video creators all around the world? If so, you should consider joining Livepeer Studio as a senior backend software engineer.
Livepeer’s mission is to build the world’s open video infrastructure, enabling instantly scalable, reliable, and affordable video streaming. We are starting by building the best video infrastructure for user-generated content (UGC) video applications. Users of Livepeer can access instantly reliable and scalable video infrastructure while saving over 10x in cost compared to existing infrastructure providers.
As a blockchain-based protocol that has been live on Ethereum since 2018, Livepeer is one of the first web3 networks to deliver real-world value to an existing multi-billion dollar industry. We do this by using our open-source, blockchain coordinated, p2p network to enable a worldwide community of hardware operators to run infrastructure for video streaming. In trying times like this, Livepeer provides a unique video solution that helps communities and businesses innovate, adapt, and grow through the power of video.
Livepeer is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We are committed to providing a community and environment for mutual respect, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success and seek to recruit/develop from a diverse candidate pool.
About the Role
Livepeer is looking for a senior backend software engineer – someone who loves to design and implement large scale distributed systems and is passionate about delivering high quality code that solves real users problems. You will contribute to Livepeer Studio’s software and work with a team of talented engineers from around the world on problems such as NFT-gated video content, verifiable video ownership and metadata, optimized video creator revenue streams, and anything else that fulfills the needs of the web3 video ecosystem. The core of the work in this role will be on the backend side of things, but you should also feel at ease picking up full stack and frontend tasks when needed.
We value customer feedback. We approach our product with craft and think a lot about the customers it should be addressing. You should feel equally at home talking to developers, product managers and designers. We are looking for someone who cares about open and decentralized solutions as much as we do. You will ensure the final product is high quality and works as intended.
As a member of the Livepeer team, you will work with seasoned entrepreneurs and experienced technologists from a wide range of different backgrounds, all with the same goal of shifting the paradigm for digital video by changing our assumptions on what’s possible.
- Collaborate with a globally distributed team to quickly iterate on product features for Livepeer Studio
- Design and build capabilities on top of the Livepeer decentralized media server and decentralized storages and protocols – e.g NFT token-gating, web3 video SDK, video NFT protocols
- Maintain and improve the team codebase optimizing for maintainability and developer efficiency
- Ensure the systems we build can scale as we bring in more users
- Work with the Ops and SRE teams to ensure our platform is reliable
- Lead architecture discussions and decisions
- Mentor junior team members
- Help to hire and retain engineering talent
- 3+ years of engineering experience. Comfortable working across different platforms and environments
- Experience working with and designing large-scale distributed systems
- Experience designing easy-to-use HTTP APIs
- Experience with Golang
- Work effectively in a fully distributed team with high accountability
- Written-communication practice. Creates thorough documentation about new decisions, processes and code
- Have an enthusiastic, go-for-it attitude. When you see something broken, you can't help but fix it
- Have an urge for delivering quickly and effectively, and iterating fast
Nice to haves, but not required:
- Experience with web3 and blockchain technologies
- Experience with TypeScript, React, Next.js, Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with video, media servers (e.g. Mist Server) or platforms (e.g. Mux)
- Experience working with CDNs and caching
- Initial Conversation (30 min)
- Intro Interview (60 min)
- Coding Challenge (60 min)
- System Design Session (60 min)
- Reference Checks
100-180k USD / year
Resources to learn more about Livepeer
Drag and Drop your CV file or upload file here